Forum HomeRegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Advanced Wire Tutorial
Post Advanced Wire Tutorial 
Now remember, this is by no means one of the first wire tuts, this is just one of the best (lol). This tutorial is going to be split up into 2 sections (maybe 3 if I find some more cool stuff). Part 1 will explain how to make the wire and part 2 will show how you can use them to create cool designs and such.
Well, as I promised, here it is:

Advanced Wires, Part 1

First off, open a new document in photoshop and for the purposes of this tutorial set it up as follows (500 px by 500 px, transparent background)

Now, you should have a blank document (duh!). Click on your paintbucket tool, or simply click "g". Once selected, set your foreground color to #5f5f5f by clicking on the foreground color image on your tool list. Fill your blank layer with this color. Name this layer "background" and create a new layer and name it "wire", "red wire","green wire" etc, depending on what colors you are planning on having. During the tutorial I shall call it wire 1.

Ok, make sure you are on layer wire 1 and select your pen tool, or simply click "p". Look at the top under file,edit,image and the others and make sure you have the pen tool with these preferences:

Now click in the upper left area of your layer wire 1 and it should start a new work path. Click again in the lower right area of your layer wire 1 and it should create a diaganol line, similar to this:

Now, go to your channels pallette and create a new channel, name it Wire.

Change your foreground color to white! Select your brush tool by clicking on it or hitting "b". You should be in basic brushes pack, if not, open up that pack and scroll down untill you get to this:

Select your pen tool and left click (and hold) in the middle of your diagonal line you created with your pen tool and move your cursor around, adjusting how your wire will look. Once you have a desirable curve, right click on the line and click stroke line, make sure it says brush, and click ok. To make it a bit smoother, but not to blurry, go to blur > gaussion blur and set it to about 2 or 3.

Your wire should now look a lot like Christm.. er.. I mean like this:

Ok, hold control and left click on Channel "wire" you should now have selected your wire, now, go back to your layers and click on layer wire 1. You should still have a selection of where your wire was. Before you do anything, go to select > feather > feather it about 1-4 px, mess around with it depending on the size of your wire. Now, fill this with a light grey, or a greyish blue, green, or red. Now, for the real fun. Go to filters > render >> lighting effects. Set it to the following preferences, or mess around to see what you come up with. For the Light Type, mess around and try several things, sometimes Spotlight can look cooler than omni.

Now, you have a basic wire. But wait, theres more! Finally, for that professional etched realistic wire look. Go to your brush, and change your brush pack to "assorted brushes" here you have an option on what style you would like, I suggest picking one of the following brushes:

Those are just a few of some of the nice patterns you can use on your wire. Make their master diameter about 10, depending on the size of your wires. Make sure your foreground is a dark grey then reselect your pen tool. Right click your path, and finally stroke it for the last time with a brush. You may now click ctrl a (selects all of the space) and delete. Do not worry, it will just delete the path. If it doesn't, then undo it and right click on the path and click delete path. Now, you should have a basic wire:

If you didn't add color before you did the lighting effects (I don't recommend adding color until now) then do so now by clicking ctrl U. check the box that says colorize and play around with it.
Here is my final wire (my pattern wasn't too dominant, I probably should have made it darker, also, if you add your pattern brush in after you add color, you may get some nice effects from it):

In Part 2 you are going to be learning how to make something like this:

Oi, and I've read and agreed to the terms and st00f... well agreed mostly... do you mind if I post this tut on my site once I get it up and running? Sad Please?

p.s. sorry for the really really low image quality, my computer is extremely slow and it'll freeze if I upload too many images consequutively, so I have to save them as really really low quality

So erm... any questions/comments? How did I do?

If i have any spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes (which I think i do) please point them out to me. This is like my first tut I actually finished... lol all my other tuts I made halfway because I didn't have time for the rest and then I just didn't feel like doing it. So thats why I split this up into 2 tuts... to make them cleaner, easier, and faster to do. Plus I won't do it all in 1 night.

Last edited by Rudementry on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

To me, in the final result, the wires seem to be kind of blurry, which detracts from the realism a bit. What do you guys think?

To me, in the final result, the wires seem to be kind of blurry, which detracts from the realism a bit. What do you guys think?
Same here, but using another brush would probably solve it.

User ID: Lucky #6!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
oops, sorry, I think I know why its a bit blurry... I found a solution, I'll edit it right now. Ok, instead of feathering the selection, gaussion blur it on the wire channel, then select it. That should make it a little better. If that doesn't work I'll try something else.. it should work though.

edit: Ok, I'm going to edit the tut a bit and hopefully add in section 2 this weekend, don't add it to the tutorials thing just yet. One of my friends said he saw a tut really similar to this one Mad so I'm going to check it out. So far I haven't seen this style in a tut yet. Dodgy

edit 2: Alright, I checked the other tut, and it has a lot of the same basic properties of my tut, but my tut goes into depth on how to make it more, plus when I add in some more stuff mine will be much more superior. Smile